Wednesday 15 January 2014

Reading Resolutions | Wednesday Reads


So two weeks ago I posted about my general New Years Resolutions, they included the stereotypical get fitter, eat healthier blah, blah, blah but also a couple of personal things I want to work on (if you'd like to check them out click here). So if you read that, you may thinking, more resolutions why? Well these are my reading resolutions. If you read any book blogs or watch any 'BookTubers' you may be well aware of this as a thing, but if not these are essentially my reading goals for this coming year. 

So by the end of 2014, in terms of reading I wan to...

1) Finally complete the fifty books challenge. I've tried this the past couple of years but I always forget to update by GoodReads and then can never remember which books I've read. I'm fairly sure I completed it last year, but this year I'm going to make sure I record EVERY book I read on GoodReads, so make sure you follow me there to keep up with my progress.  Though, in a normal year, I'm capable of reading fifty books plus in the 365 days of the year, this year isn't exactly a normal year. Next week I start an intensive, fourteen week journalist course for which I'll be living away from home during the week, after that I have a week of work experience with a newspaper and then I'm off to Australia for goodness knows how long. Obviously I'll read whenever I get the oppurtunity, however, spare time isn't going to a frequent occurrence so I'm not convinced the fifty book challenge will be as easy this year. Hopefully the dreaded twenty four hour flight will give me oppurtunity to catch up. 

2) I have got tonnes of books on my bookshelf, some of which have been sat untouched for over a year. This year I want to complete all those books (Les Miserables included) before I buy any more. This should heavily contribute to 50 book challenge so two birds with one stone? 

3) This one you may already be aware off but I essentially want to finish about 50% of the books on my bookshelf before I journey off to Australia. For a more detailed information, check out my 'To Read Before Aus List' but if you can't really bothered to read a whole blog post about it I'll break it down for you quickly here. Basically, I don't want to take any hard copies of books to Australia due to weight restrictions so will only be taking my kindle, therefore so books aren't sat unread for another year I'm not going to touch my kindle until I sit in my seat for the flight and only read the hard copies on my shelf before I go. Bet you're wishing you'd not read the whole blog post and just waited for that condensed paragraph now. 

4) I've been getting through the 'Song of Ice & Fire' series by George R.R. Martin very, very slowly. I've read the first three but would like to read up to book five by the end of year. They're huge books so this could have a bit of a negative impact on the 50 books challenge but I really enjoy them so want to get on with the series, hopefully before the new series of the TV adaptation (A Game Of Thrones) airs in Britain. 

5) Overall, I don't read a lot of non-fiction. I used to read a-lot in school to support essays at A-Level, but since finishing those lovely exams and pieces of coursework (notice sarcasm) I've barely gone near the real stuff. This year I'd like to make more of an effort to read more non-fiction of any kind, learning stuff, biography stuff, historical stuff whatever it is just so long as it's not fiction. I'd like to read at least five though I'd really like to read more but I feel five is a good start. 

So those are my reading resolutions, remember to follow me on GoodReads for regular updates of my reading progress through the year. I'll also be giving you updates of the before Aus reading list at the end of each Wednesday reads, at present it 0. Good start I think you'll agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment